I Say Fun….You Say Humph?!

That stupid sounding title somewhat about summarizes my ‘fun’ life. Whenever I open my mouth & say-“hey, what about a little fun?” around a gathering on my ‘sane/normal’ friends, I hear a ‘humph!’ or if they are feeling particularly polite that day, they simply change the topic. I don’t blame them, poor things. For they are the ones I turn to whenever my fun ideas wind me in a not comfortable scenario. Did I mention I’m the absolute human magnet for trouble?!

If I attempt to go down the memory lane, I’d have a long list of such memorable incidents to account. A vast variety to choose from, all of them having one thing in common-they were fun & ended in building up my dopey reputation! (ok that’s 2 things not 1) The most recent incidents being sketched out vividly in my mind, allow me to descend down the list.

Being committed is usually considered to be a safe girly thing & the intended purpose of having a boyfriend may range from shopping help to shoulder-to-cry/lean/etc on...you get the point?! I luckily found a daredevil guy for myself who seemed to have dislocated that exact part of the brain as mine, the part that recognizes danger. Take for example that lonely road lit dimly by a street light at the far end. We were already on the bike when he turns his head slightly to my side & says huskily-
“You game for a wheelie?” He was good in those stunts, I’d seen the live performances before & I agreed albeit not so readily. “Hold tight” and then I felt the bike going on its rear tyres & trust me that was fun...until “Let’s do it again?” this had me a bit nervous. I tried to back off a bit, but he wouldn’t have it. The bike lifted again but before I knew we were crumpled on the road, the bike lying neatly on top of us! To this date he claims I somehow managed to divert his attention and sabotage the stunt…duh!

I don’t have a bucket list or something. But I do aim to try everything in life just once. So when I turned 20, I’d this desire to go for a hard drink. (No, don’t laugh. If you’d met my Mom you’d know why I hadn’t tried it already) There I was trying not to vomit by the mere smell of beer held out to me. (I wouldn’t say who I was with, this blog is public & I don’t wanna be grounded again.) I took a sip & almost threw out my lunch. Then my friend handed me Thumbs Up spiked with rum. I was determined to feel the high of a drink & wouldn’t have it otherwise. It tasted fine & before I or my friend realized I’d taken hold of the small bottle of rum & drunk straight from it. I do acknowledge my stupidity and the fact that the light-headedness was nothing as I’d imagined. Bottom line is I got grounded for a month. (Children do not try this at home/friend’s home/anywhere )

Going to more innocent & childish category of fun, I was in Goa for 2 years. The 2 blessed, sunshine filled years of my life. A group of us, none above the age of 11 decided to go hiking on the small hillock behind our flat. Given Goa’s unpredictable weather we had taken our umbrellas with us. As we climbed slowly, the temple on the peak coming to view, it was an awesome sight! One of my friends climbed atop a small piece of rock opened his umbrella & started singing the Shaktimaan title song. We were too busy laughing when the umbrella blew in the wrong direction & almost brought him down. And then we noticed the angry dark clouds already pouring on the other half of the hill. Tearing our eyes away from the breathtaking view we hurriedly descended only to be caught in the rain. I was the slow climber & the bulkiest one and needless to say it had been my idea of fun. It wasn’t possible to climb down holding the umbrella in one hand. The rest of them had taken shelter in a small flat area. But to climb to it I’d to go against the wind & the upturned umbrella was doing no good. Fortunately my little sister forgetting all rivalry climbed back to me & helped in. That’s one reason I can never bring myself to murder her when she’s at her devilish best!

There are many other incidents some too stupid & foolhardy to be mentioned in here, after all my friends will be reading this I don’t want to end up raising too many eyebrows! And I’d actually intended to enter this post as a part of a contest but then I really couldn’t bring myself to divulge another 2 so-called fun incidents. Hope the above 3 made you smile at least!

Comments

Sagar..... said…
well nice one hmmmmmmm how were u feeling while da byk stunt tell m so dat i can try it on my girlfriend.........

nd ya tell me how can i ask her for a drink with me so dat she wont end up scoldin me....

well njoyed alot reeding dis....
There are many other incidents some too stupid & foolhardy....if i want i cn go on writing about dose stupid incidents...yeah but dis stupid incidents r d one u love i guess so u had err..FUN...
@ SAGAR LOL nyccc comments so havnt u already tried askng her for drink or takng hr for ride?? ;)
Unknown said…
like all fun.. some part missing bt still cool
Rinaya said…
@Sagar: I dont seem to think dats a gud idea..
@Lopa: ahem ahem
@Neer: yeah I know,I just cudnt bring myslef to jot down ALL d fun parts re..ppl dnt hav much patience /time! :(
SEHRAAN said…
The incidents were good, but your description ends up sounding desultory in parts...Some coherence was missed,but on a unit-by-unit basis,the paragraphs read well...The humour gets masked midway, since you resist being self-deprecatory in sections where some old-fashioned "laughing at yourself" could have worked wonders!
Rinaya said…
yeah I know,it was difficult to write dis one cos I dint exactly want to correctly portray wat an eccentric person i am!
In fact many of the incidents have benn drastically edited to suit my needs :D
SEHRAAN said…
You shouldnt have done that...A writer is supposed to have the courage to allow people to consider her "eccentric"...Never trim your prose to cut out such parts.Apart from killing the humour,they undermine the reader's perception of your self-esteem...
Rinaya said…
I'll surely keep that in mind..just that the thought of my father reading that made me sweat :P
Enjoyed this.
You write very well.
Just write from your heart

Popular Posts